[Dixielandjazz] Big Mama Thornton

Bob Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Fri Oct 5 13:19:25 PDT 2012

I've just been listening to Big Mama Thornton's "Hound Dog". To my ears this
consists of BMT singing accompanied by guitar, string bass, and drums. I
assume that the bass is Milt Hinton and the drummer Jo Jones, but the Tom
Lord discography doesn't list a guitar player. I also assume that this
recording is from the live concert at Carnegie Hall on January 15, 1967.

The guitar player is very prominent on this recording, and it does sound as
though BMT shouts encouragement to the guitarist possibly using .his/her
name, but I can't hear what she is shouting.

Does anyone know who it is?

Any feedback on this will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Bob Smith