[Dixielandjazz] Sage Sighting! LewRockwell.com: Mezz Mezzrow on Mencken

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Tue Nov 13 06:23:42 PST 2012

To: Musicians and Jazzfans list; Pensacola Mencken list;  DJML
From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

It's not often that my two interests - jazz music and H. L. Mencken
coincide.  Here's one instance.
Thanks to Frank Forman, moderator of the National Mencken list, for
forwarding the piece below.

Some explanatory comments are needed  since this is a  post to a diverse
list.  Mencken (1880-1956)-- author, newspaperman, editor and social
commentator-- was also a serious amateur pianist.  He hated jazz-- couldn't
play it, of course-- and loved classical music, especially German.

Now for Mezz Mezzrow ( given name Milton):  He was a Chicago clarinet player
who moved to Harlem.  His clarinet playing was average, not excellent, and
he was briefly manager for Louis Armstrong.  Among the musicians, his main
claim to fame was as supplier of quality marijuana.  Many of you know that
Louis Armstrong smoked marijuana daily.  Mezzrow was the supplier for
Armstrong and the band.  If they were traveling, Armstrong would write a
post-card to Mezzrow explaining that they were traveling, give the address,
and state that they have "lost our instruments." This would be the clue that
a new supply of "Mezz" ( one of the many nicknames for MJ in those days) was
needed.  Mezzrow was co-author of the book "Really the Blues."