[Dixielandjazz] Responses from Mike Vax --Miami JazzFest and young performers at Jazz events

david richoux domitype at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 21:56:21 PST 2012

Mike and all - it looks like SOMEBODY heard you, somehow!

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/nov/17/dixieland-jazz-festival-experiencing-youth-movemen/

a portion:

There’s a very sound reason that saxophonist/clarinetist Chloe Feoranzo and
pianist Stephanie Trickdidn’t perform at the first edition of the San Diego
Thanksgiving Dixieland Jazz Festival: Neither of them was alive when this
annual music marathon debuted here 33 years ago as a celebration of a
musical style whose roots date back to the early 20th century, if not
before.
But Feoranzo, 20, and Trick, 26, are now veterans of the festival, with
Trick returning for her second year and Feoranzo — improbably, given her
young age — for her seventh. They are both audience favorites who performed
together last year and are likely to do so again here this week. Both
impress equally with their instrumental skills and their infectious
enthusiasm for music that, in some instances, predates their births by 70
or more years.
“I was 14 the first time I played at the festival, and I loved it,” said
Feoranzo, a former student at the San Diego School of Creative and
Performing Arts. She has one solo album to her credit and is now in her
junior year as a music performance major at Webster University in St. Louis.
“Seeing the music performed live at the festival when I was 13 is what
brought me into playing old (styles of) jazz,” Feoranzo continued. “There’s
something about the music that is very happy, that grabs you and makes you
want to dance. You can hop from venue to venue at the festival and pick a
dance partner in each one. Thanksgiving wouldn’t be the same for me without
the festival.”
Trick, who coincidentally is a St. Louis native and has six (soon to be
seven) albums to her credit, is similarly effusive.
Like Feoranzo, she is scheduled to perform multiple times at the festival,
be it solo, in a duo or sitting in and jamming with various bands. On
Friday night, she and singer Lorraine Feather (the daughter of legendary
jazz critic and sometime composer Leonard Feather) will perform music from
the debut album of their duo, Nouveau Stride.

more at
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/nov/17/dixieland-jazz-festival-experiencing-youth-movemen/

David RIchoux

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Bob Romans <cellblk7 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi Listmates…all of you listmates need to see Mike's thoughts…
>
> To:  Musicians and Jazzfans list
>
> From: Norman
>

> Mike Vax, listmate/ leader of Stan Kenton Alumni Band and jazz educator,
responds to two items—Miami JazzFest info about cancellation and also about
young people performing at jazz events and opening one’s ears to newer
music.

snip