[Dixielandjazz] Medford: Finding The Next Generation

gracerecex at comcast.net gracerecex at comcast.net
Sat Nov 3 17:40:17 PDT 2012

Digest Editor: With everyone seeking the "magical mix" that will attract a younger audience and increase attendance, I thought our Medford experience would be of interest to other festivals.  Jim DeMont, President, Medford Jazz Festival

MEDFORD: FINDING THE NEXT GENERATION

The recent 2012 Medford Jazz Festival is in the books. Before moving on to 2013 planning, I would like to share that for the first time in the last few years, attendance and ticket revenues were up. Unofficially, looks like 18%. We believe our stellar lineup which included headliners in their own right, such as Lena Prima, Vince Bartel's Best of Swing Quintet and a variety ranging from Traditional Jazz to Doo Wop, to Jump-jive and even some late-night swing and Rock & Roll with High Street attracted a large number of the next generation of music lovers that we've been seeking. Sacramento's Sister Swing even moved out of the 40's, debuting "Gladys Uptight" and the "Shrills!" Did we worry about becoming too eclectic? You betcha. But survey results ran 5 to 1 or more in favor of "variety" vs. "want more trad."

The scheduling of Las Vegas/New Orleans headliner Lena Prima was the closest Medford has come to having a name performer. If you are an American Rag subscriber, you noted that Lena was prominent in all our advertising and on our website. And it paid off. So, did we come up with a magial music mix that is the recipe for attracting a younger audience (31 to 50) to our festival? No one knows for sure. We probably are closer to a definite answer. We know every jazz festival is searching for the formula for survival. As for Medford, we had a successful festival and plan to use the above formula--with an adjustment or two--in moving"onward ard upward" .within the framework of period-contemporary variety as we foster America's music--Jazz!

Jim DeMont, President
Medford Jazz Festival