[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Trad Jazz Camp Swings in the French Quarter June 10-16, 2012

Nita Hemeter nhemeter at gmail.com
Thu May 31 06:22:07 PDT 2012

*The New Orleans Trad Jazz Camp for Adults Swings in the French Quarter*

* *

*For Immediate release*

*For More Info:*

*Nita Hemeter:*

*h)504-865-9792 before June 10*

*c) 504-234-4184*

* *

*The third annual New Orleans Traditional Jazz Camp for Adults will kick
off Sunday June 10th at the Bourbon Orleans Hotel in the French
Quarter. Campers
are attending this uniquely  “Only in New Orleans” music camp from 28
states as well as Canada, UK, Argentina, Finland, Scotland, Germany and the
Netherlands.  The mission of the camp is to promote, perpetuate and
preserve the music that was born in the Birthplace of Jazz.  The camp was
founded in 2009 by Banu Gibson, Leslie Cooper and Nita Hemeter who are all
musicians in New Orleans.*

* *

*This year scholarships have been awarded to 12 local student musicians to
attend free of charge.*

* *

*Campers spend the week in music instruction with some of the finest
musicians in the city.  Our instructors include: Connie Jones, Ed Polcer,
Otis Bazoon, Ray Moore, David Sager, Carl LeBlanc, David Boeddinghaus, Matt
Perrine, Kerry Lewis, Gerald French, Leah Chase, Banu Gibson and special
adjunct professor Dan Levinson.  Evenings are spent jamming in the clubs or
at the hotel.*

* *

*The weekly activities also include presentations by Jazz Historians at
morning breakfast, a performance at Preservation Hall, a huge “Second Line”
Parade on Tuesday June 12th starting at 6:30pm through the streets of the
French Quarter, a performance of faculty and world renowned clarinetist Dan
Levinson at Sung Harbor on Thursday June 14th,  a Friday night June 15th
concert held at the Grand Ballroom of the Bourbon Orleans Hotel from 7pm
until which is free and open to the public and a Traditional Jazz Festival
on Saturday June 16th from 11am-4pm at the Palm Court Jazz Café that is
also open to the pubic.*

* *

*For more information about this program see our website at **
www.neworleanstradjazzcamp.com* <http://www.neworleanstradjazzcamp.com/>*
  The demand for our camp is so great that we have a waiting list available
for sign up for next year’s camp.*

* *

* *

*General Schedule of Activities:*

* *

*June 10th -  Sunday evening – Meet and Greet at the hotel.  *

* *

*June 12th - Tuesday night – Second Line Parade – 6:30pm - 104 Campers
parading in the Quarter
*

* *

*June 14th - Thursday night – Performance at Preservation Hall 4pm-7pm
(private)*

*
*

*June 14th - Thursday night - Snug Harbor 626 Frenchmen St. - 8pm and 10pm
- A night of Hot Jazz matching camp faculty with NYC reed man Dan Levinson
and Argentinians  Luis Alasino on clarinet and Francisco Castillo on alto
sax.  Banu Gibson, Camp Executive Director, will host as MC.*

* *

*June 15th - Friday night  – Camper Concert – Bourbon Orleans Hotel 7pm –
until.  Free and open to the public.*

* *

*June 16th - Saturday – 11am – 4pm “Lagniappe Day”*

* Traditional Jazz Festival – Palm Court Jazz Café  Free and open to the
public.*
*
*