[Dixielandjazz] FH5+2

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu May 31 05:46:51 PDT 2012

Marek wrote:
>Perhaps that's why non-American listmates like the band less than Americans
- we have not seen the Firemen in person, and judge solely based on their
music, not nostalgia.

Not so much nostalgia, Marek, rather a realization from having seen them
perform that theirs was/is a happy music played by happy musicians.  So
different from the "sit in your chair & stare at the floor" scene that I
often see now of present bands on YouTube.

Granted, a live joke may be funny at the moment, but heard over & over on
record can be a bore.  I have edited out that sort of thing sometimes from
our recordings.  My introduction of our trumpeter who plays a lovely Harry
James style horn on "The Man I Love" always brings laughter (even from a
multi-language crowd), but I took out my introduction on our CD:  "Pepe
Nuñez...The Man I Love".  It's funny with my arm around this 78 yr old who
is a foot shorter than me (with his head resting on my chest) when you see
it, but loses the humor on a recording.

What a shame everyone couldn't have experienced live the happy sounds &
sights of the FH5+2.  How can you resist that back-beat?

Jim