[Dixielandjazz] Baltimore Oriole

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri May 25 16:11:48 PDT 2012

> "Bob Romans" <cellblk7 at comcast.net>
>

> Hi List mates?I've just recently heard this great tune by Hoagie
> Carmichael?where has it been hiding? Is there a lead sheet for it
> anywhere?
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua1vTbRYI4M

Song has been in plain sight for a long time Bob. For example, check
these out

Four Freshmen 1953
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwGO3N9fChI

Carmen McRae. (I heard her do it at the Cork & Bib, Westbury L.I. NY
circa 1958)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wplhvBCyQ4o

Helen Merrill 1967
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzWScH7zw10&feature=related

Lorez Alexandria 1978
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vHFo6rd_9g

Bob Dorough
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CNLd4sXI5M

Heck, even George Harrison did it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEmW4PdB0so

Four other well know performers who did it are: Chris Conner. Gary
Crosby, Booker Ervin, and John Mellencamp

Of course the traddies would have missed all if these, and many other
versions which were done by pop singers and modern jazzers. <grin>

Hoagy,  as Cricket the hotel bar piano player, played it in the Movie
"To Have and Have Not" starring Humphrey Bogart & Lauren Bacall. (her
first movie), in 1944. His name was Cricket in the film. Borgart was
Steve, and Bacall was Slim. Surely we all saw that movie. Remember the
Bacall quote: "You know how to whistle, don't you Steve? You just put
your lips together and blow."

You can get a lead sheet for it on line. Just search: Lead Sheet for
Baltimore Oriole.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband