[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat May 19 15:11:15 PDT 2012

Just back from another wonderful performance by Swing de Gitanes,
again hosting that excellent Aussie violinist Daniel Weltlinger.  I
have heard Mr. Weltlinger with Swing de Gitanes more than once over
the last few years, and it was always absolutely satisfactory.
The programme was mainly Django Reinhardt, but included non-Reinhardt
stadards adn three originals by band members - one each.  Oh, that
interplay between the leader Yaakov Hoter and the other guitarist, Ori
Ben-Zvi!  the transition is so smooth one can hardly notice it, even
after a few seconds one becomes aware of the difference in sound (I
tend to listen to music with my eyes closed - helps to open one's
ears).  Oren Sagh is a fantastic bass player - and I have heard many
of the great bassists live (Ray Brown, Milt Hinton, Major Holly, Al
McKibbon, Al Morgan, Arvell Shaw and Slam Stewart are just some of the
names that come to my mind).  His solos are always melodic - he sounds
almost like anotehr guitar, albeit a blit lower.  Daniel Weltlinger
often appears at various Gypsy swing concerts worldwide.
Unfortunately, only one of my friends came; those who have failed to
do so - serves them right!
Cheers