[Dixielandjazz] Kids 'n' Jazz (in Europe)

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Tue May 15 15:36:54 PDT 2012

I think I've written about Joan Chamorro before. He is an Italian music
teacher and director of the Sant Andreu Jazz Band that has gained world
recognition with his youth jazz groups. I don't care what you think of
Andrea Motis today, in another five years she will be a force to recon
with. Anyway, I just stumbled upon a new trailer with some pretty tasty
testimonials.

http://santandreujazzbandfilm.com/trailer/

Sant Andreu Jazz Band is a project arising from a music class. Directed
by Joan Chamorro, the big band brings together children between 6 and 18
years old, around a classic jazz repertoire with lots of swing, which
gained the public and sold-out some of the most important music
auditoriums in Spain.

This documentary is a journey led by the orchestra director, which
immerses us in a unique teaching method as unique as the results it
unveils. A story that will thrill us with these kids’ staging talent and
touch us through all sort of sensations that only they are able to bring
to life.

On this journey they are joined by Jesse Davis, Terell Stafford and
Wycliffe Gordon, American musicians admired by all jazz music lovers
that feed the spirit of young talent careers as Elsa, that with only 6
years old plays trumpet like an angel.

Here are some more videos of his music program.

http://santandreujazzbandfilm.com/videos/

video 1 : Cute little babies with I Found a New Baby
Video 2 : Joan drinking coffee. You can skip this one.
Video 3 : Voice lessons (ok, gotta work on pronunciation. Or, sing in
Italian.)
Video 4 : How old is this little girl with the Bechet classic?
Video 5 : The next Esperanza Spalding? (ok, gotta work on pronunciation.
Or, sing in Italian.)

Gary Kiser
34, rue du Président Wilson
63100 Clermont-Ferrand