[Dixielandjazz] History of the Tenor Banjo

Mike Woitowicz banjomusic at charter.net
Sat May 12 17:07:36 PDT 2012

Fellow musicians:

For those on the list interested in banjo history, an excellent article was written by author John Hoft on the historical development of the tenor banjo an its role in early ragtime and Dixieland music, up to the decline of the instrument's popularity in the '30's when the electric guitar became more prevalent in jazz. There is some interesting commentary in the article about Mike Pingatory's role as banjoist with Paul Whiteman's orchestra and his contribution to the development of the instrument.

For those that are not aware, the tenor banjo is one of two major types of 4-string banjos used in jazz (the "plectrum" banjo is the other). The tenor banjo has a shorter neck and is tuned to a higher pitch. There are several tunings used for the plectrum banjo, but generally the pitch is lower. The higher pitch of the tenor allows it to cut through the other instruments in a combo, more so than the plectrum. This style of tuning was developed from mandolins and other similar instruments in the early 1900's (explained in the article).

John Hoft's well researched article was published in "All Frets" magazine. I have obtained permission of the author and All Frets to reproduce it on my website. It can be reached at the following link:  http://www.banjomusic.biz/tbs-1.html or just go to my website below and follow the "History" link to "History of the Tenor Banjo".

Mike Woitowicz
The Banjo Barons Ragtime Band
The Dixie Barons Dixieland Band
Solo Banjo Shows