[Dixielandjazz] Donna Lee ---- got it

Ken Gates kwg915 at gmail.com
Thu May 10 12:56:54 PDT 2012

Thanks to those who gave suggestions on hearing "Donna Lee".
My ears are now accustomed---the slow motion tracks helped.
Of the youtube samples I tried,  I maybe liked this one the most-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lin-o5czUZo&feature=related

I did get straightened out on one aspect of all this.  I did know of
the many instances of alternate melodies to known chord progressions.
I didn't realize that there are "official" alternate melody lines as in
"Donna Lee".   I had the idea that announcing that the tune was
such and such merely meant that a completely "new"
improvisation would take place over a certain chord progression.

As a teenager I attended several Jazz at the Philharmonic sessions
in LA ---1943-44  I guess----Willie Smith, Howard McGhee, Illinois
Jacquet etc.  I didn't have any idea that I was witnessing the
beginnings of a major change in a music genre.  It was then
beyond what I could adjust to----probably still is---but there is
so much music I do enjoy---viva la difference in styles.

Ken Gates