[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Jazz Bands

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Wed May 9 14:53:19 PDT 2012

On 09/05/2012 21:20, Marek Boym wrote:
  I can only listen with my own ears, even if you
> don't trust them.  And they tell me that the various Red Nichols bands
> neve sounded anything like the white NO bands.  The Memphis 5 tried,
> but did not suceed - it created a different style (which reminds me of
> the West Coast revival and the British revival, which is like it
> should be).

I'm with Marek on this. I'm not an expert on the OM5. I found that
Barking Dog, Woof Woof, on YouTube. It is claimed to be 1917, but Amazon
has it as 1922, which sounds more likely.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG3N_jySTNM
It is not as jerky as most early white bands, but lacks the drive of the
ODJB.
Nichols, Wolverines and the Goofus Five sound very poor rhythmically
compared to Sbarbaro and co - much is down to his great drumming.

--
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com