[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Jazz Bands

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed May 9 14:44:54 PDT 2012

OK,
Albert Haim's word.
Mind you, he mentions "anecdotal" and "my speculation."

On May 9, 2012, at 4:20 PM, Marek Boym wrote: (polite snip)
    The Memphis 5 tried, (referring to sounding like ODJB)
    but did not suceed - it created a different style (which reminds me of
    the West Coast revival and the British revival, which is like it
    should be).

Dear Marek:

If Memphis 5 created a different style, what should we call it?

Wasn't it you who oppesed pigeon holing?  But if I need to answer,
I've seen it referred to, together with Red Nichols (no Siscilian
connections, I am afraid), as "the New York style."
The truth - I don't care.  It's hot (despite Messrs. Rust and Harris'
opinion) and driving, and that's all I need to know.

I often say that I was lucky to have heard Nichols and Napoleon befroe
reading the Rust and Harris' book where they put them down, and having
read the book before first hearing the ODJB, which other critics put
down.  In those days, when I was a young and unexperienced teenager
fan (perhaps more - I got that book soetime in the early 1960's from
my girl friend, my wife since 1965, whom I started courting in
December 1962).
Cheers