[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Jazz Bands

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed May 9 08:27:26 PDT 2012

On May 8, 2012, at 5:44 PM, Marek Boym wrote:

> May I respectfully point out that neither the Original Memphis Five
> nor Red Nichols were from New Orleans, and while the former, at least
> at the beginning, tried to emulate the ODJB, the latter never did.
> The other whlte bands mentioned were, indeed, from New Orleans.
> Cheers
>
> On 8 May 2012 23:53, Stephen G Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>
> wrote: (snip)
>>

>> 3. White New Orleans: Bands and the musicians in them like ODJB,
>> Original
>> Memphis Five, Red Nichols NORK, Halfway House, etc. While this
>> style seems
>> to has almost disappeared, their repertoire lives on among all
>> Dixielanders
>> who play those tunes the ODJB takes composer credit for. And many
>> white jazz
>> musicians got their start by listening and idolizing ODJB (Like Bix)

Dear Marek:

Perhaps you misunderstand the term "White New Orleans" bands as used
to describe a style. The term as used by descriptors, refers to style
of music and not to where the musicians are from  e.g. Folks describe
my band as playing Chicago Style and none of us are from Chicago. And
folks say Woody Allen plays new Orleans Jazz when he is not from New
Orleans.

Style descriptions are not meant to describe "copy cat" bands. Thus it
makes little difference as to whether or not the Original Memphis Five
"tried to emulate the ODJB". But as you know, Frank Signorelli, co-
founder of the original Memphis Five had also been a member of ODJB.
And, if memory serves me correctly, the first record released by the
OMF, was released under the name ODJB, with Nick LaRocca's approval,
after his ODJB disbanded in 1922.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband