[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Jazz Bands

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Tue May 8 15:49:30 PDT 2012

Hi all,
Interesting topic. For me the New Orleans thing is all about rhythm. The
southern bands whether white, black or Creole, had a beat which is
lacking in the white bands of Red Nichols, the Goofus 5, the Wolverines
and such black bands as Fletcher Henderson's.

I was asked to do a talk to the University of the 3rd Age last year
about early jazz.  Impossible in 90 minutes. So I chose early New
Orleans Jazz from 1917 - 1930 - Black / Creole jazz.

The starting point was the ODJB merely to pin point the 1st jazz recording.

I included Bunk's brass band as an example of the brass band music. Then
to Ory's Sunshine Band, Piron's N.O. Orch. Then a few Oliver
illustrations - Chimes, Dippermouth  (creole JB)and Sugar Foot (Dixie
Syncopators) and King Porter - the duet with Morton.

>From there to Bechet and Armstrong Red Onion Jazz Babies - Cake Walkin'
Babies.

Celestin's Tuxedo Rag followed, then Sam Morgan's Short Dress Gal.

Keppard's Stockyard Strut was next,then Jelly's Blackbottom Stomp.

Louis Dumaine followed - then Wild Man Blues (Hot 7), Too Busy
(Armstrong / Noone).

Jones / Collins Astoria Hot 8 was the penultimate track and Luis
Russell's Panama was the closer.

I should have included  Come On and Stomp Stomp Stomp by the J Dodds
Blackbottom Stompers as this is what I suggest the Oliver rhythm section
really sounded like with a full drum kit (Dodds), but no time.

Others may suggest alternatives, but I think this list gives a flavour
of the important early recordings and different styles.

I repeated the talk at my Mundesley festival a couple of weeks ago.

It went down well.
Keep swinging,

--
John Petters