[Dixielandjazz] Guitar players - Was Rock & Roll

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue May 8 14:18:49 PDT 2012

On May 8, 2012, at 3:00 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> Rickey Z (Rick Jolley) wrote disagreeing with Kent: <polite snip>
>
> I taught guitar for twenty or thirty years.  (Back when most of you
> were
> puppies.)  I taught youngsters
> to read, both chords and notes.

I'm with you Rick. Our guitar player, Sonny Troy, is an accomplished
reader of both chords and lead sheets with no chord notations. For
years he was the guitar player in a trio on the Mike Douglas TV Show.
Five days a week, different singers guested and at least half of them
never brought guitar chord noted music. He would simply read the lear
sheet, or the piano music and back them perfectly. No time to
rehearse, he just got out there and did it.

As for Rock guitarists, IMO some of them are incredible musicians. For
example here's a guy who is ranked about 25th among Rock guitarists by
Rolling Stone.

CAVEAT: NOT OKOM, but Very Expressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mE2aIUnevI&feature=related

or if you liked that, hear him with Steve Vai and Eric Johnson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDbGpgJMK_s&feature=related

Perhaps the reason many guitarists flock to Rock is because that's
where the money is.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband