[Dixielandjazz] Jazz History/ Viva la difference redux

Shaw, Tim Tim.Shaw at mh.org.au
Tue May 8 03:38:57 PDT 2012

Dear Bill, Marek & friends

Bill, I have to agree with you about Oliver himself - in any case, his style and sound were both pretty unique amongst NO trumpeters, at least those on record) - no "French-style" fast vibrato, (Armstrong has more vibrato than Oliver) very sparse and  economical style (based on a minimum of cleverly timed and harmonically placed notes).

I think that Oliver was also the first to play up to high Bb (The break in "Sweet Lovin Man") - even when he was alledgedly past his prime (1923)  by most accounts.
Keppard and others made more noise and were flashier, but Oliver wins hands down just on the basis of musical taste, IMO.

I think the most remarkable thing about the great early New Orleans players is that they are so utterly different.
For example, Lorenzo Tio is supposed to have taught all great clarinetists - none of whom sound like Tio or like each other.
Dodds', Noones' and Bechet's sounds and styles seem to have been formed very early; I doubt their travels after leaving NO affected them much. Dutrey likewise.

 That's why I think the KOCJB is really a NO band; it's sound is probably a bit tighter and more arranged than it might have been in NO, (but several people who heard it live are on record as saying that the recordings don't capture the live sound well.)

 I don't think there's any doubt about the NORKS/half-way house ork being a bona fide (white) NO sound.

I think of the Austin High gang and early Benny Goodman as the first "Chicago" Jazz;

The South Side stuff is pretty much NO (or from other places further up river like St Loius - eg Charles Creath).

If I had to nominate  early black group(s) that have a "Chicago" sound, I think the Jimmy Blythe/Bertrand groups fit the Bill.

cheers
tim