[Dixielandjazz] Whence "Hey Engineer"?

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Mon May 7 21:00:31 PDT 2012

At the Chattanooga festival this weekend, an old friend asked if I
could help her find a song she remembered about a train going south
and Georgia peaches, etc.  I quickly replied that that's an old Ernie
Carson song called "Hey Engineer" and was sure that I had a recording
of it by him that I could send her.

Well, when I got home, I found that my only recording of it is by the
Tarnished Six of State College, PA.  I then headed for George Buck's
Jazzology web site, knowing that George is the Prime Mover of Ernie
Carson in jazz recording history.  I did find "Hey Engineer" there,
but only once, on a Carson Castle Jazz Band recording called "At the
Hooker's Ball."

Now I'm wondering:  Do the rest of you associate that song with
Carson, or is my memory incorrect?

--
      Dick Baker
  djml at dickbaker.org