[Dixielandjazz] To Robert Calder about Rock 'n' Roll

Kent Murdick kmurdick at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Mon May 7 12:39:34 PDT 2012

Rock music is not capable of evolving because it is predicated on
musical illiteracy.  It is much easier to learn the horn or the piano
through  reading notation.  It is difficult to read on the guitar (for
reasons I won't get into here) and therfore guitarist don't read or
study music.  After several generations of illiterate listeners/players,
the art of listening and playing is lost.

I'm not a particularly good sax player - I started when I was 60 years
old - but because I can play the changes, much better players look at me
like I'm a sorcerer.

Kent