[Dixielandjazz] Israeli Jazz in NYC

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun May 6 12:49:35 PDT 2012

> <marekboym at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Steve,
> We have been through that before.  As far as I can tell, whatever it
> is, jazz it is not.  Of all the Cohen siblings (three claim to be jazz
> players), only Anat plays what sounds jazz to my ears.
> No, I am not going to engage in the discussio of what jazz is again -
> it's futile.  I don't quite see why the purveyors of all those various
> styles of music(?) clamour for them to ba called jazz, except perhaps
> because of what Eddie Condon said aeons ago: "A terrible thing has
> happened to jazz: it became respectable."
> The Cohen Brothers Band appeared in Caesarea in a programme of early
> Armstrong music.  The best I can say about it is that it only rarely
> deteriorated into modern mayhem.

Dear Marek:

Why shoot the messenger? I am not arguing for or against the article.,
just passing it on.. <grin>

Tell the folks at the UN or the Israelis that what they are presenting
is not jazz. Or tell everyone else in the world who listens to it,
that it is not jazz but rather some sort of Israeli hoax.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband