[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Music Festival

Kristy Reed saxyreed at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 22 22:17:46 PDT 2012

I'm inclined to agree somewhat in the "labeling" of bands as "Trad" or "Swing", especially since I would never personally consider my group a "Trad" band.  We are a jazz quartet, and have very little "Trad" in our rep while we cover multiple genres.  However, I certainly wouldn't nitpick as to the "labeling".  It's all subjective anyway.

The important thing is that while Sacramento may have changed the name, the JAZZ is still very much alive, and it will be a fabulous festival, four days of excellent music, and the more folks can attend, the more likely that we can keep the music alive and thriving.  With any luck, we can intrigue more people to attend for "music" who will leave with a song in their heart and a thirst for more jazz.  Those same people may come to find a place in their soul for OKOM and seek out another festival because of the exposure to it.  It's a win-win if we all cooperate and have a good time!  You can choose to be part of the problem, or part of the solution.

We're all after the same common goal.  If you're in Sacramento and play an instrument, we'll have three jam sessions that all are invited to join.  We have 15 youth bands slated to perform.  14 of those youth bands are playing traditional jazz!!!  Your presence in Sacramento, even for a day, helps to ensure these kids will have somewhere to perform in 5 - 10 years when they're all grown up and ready to make OKOM as adults!  There IS a future.

With these young musicians comes a fresh new audience.  Find them, enjoy their music, praise them, and encourage them to stick with it.  It was the influence of musicians like Gene Berthelson, Don Lewis, Abe Most, Bob Draga, Dutch Deutsch, Kenny Davern, Ken Peplowski, Sandor Benko, Paulette Pepper, and others who took me under their wing when I was young and kept me interested.  I am passing the torch.  You can too.

Kristy Reed
saxyreed at hotmail.com