[Dixielandjazz] All this discussion.....

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Mar 15 15:24:16 PDT 2012

All this discussion about likes & dislikes seems to have overlooked one
matter:  we are all putting our words into writing.  More than likely, if
one used a word that sounded offensive about a musician in a live
discussion, the other person would comment, and then the original speaker
might say something like "well, I didn't really mean to be so strong about
it", and the whole thing would be forgotten.  In writing, that particular
word is there to ponder over & can become the focus for misunderstandings &
blown out of proportion.

Another matter we should all remember is that this is not just a mailing
list for native English speakers, & many on the list may spend their whole
day speaking another language (or English may not be their native tongue),
so holding folks to ransom for a particular word use may not be the most
friendly & tolerant way to behave.

Jim