[Dixielandjazz] Negative peer pressure

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 13 12:47:11 PDT 2012

As Jim and Marek pointed out, the European scene is very different.

I am not so sure about "negative peer pressure" as a reason for a
supposed lack of young audiences appreciating jazz in the USA. In
fact, I am not sure that peer pressure has much affect at all.

What I believe is that most USA bands do not see young audiences
because they do not play where the young audiences are. The club scene
in the Philadelphia area is swarming with young people. And there are
clubs that feature 1920s - 1930s music. The kids go there from 9 PM to
2 AM.

I sub in 2 different clubs that hire YOUNG Dixieland musicians. And
the audiences, mostly under 40 years old, love the bands and the
music. The Farmer's Cabinet in Philly is one such venue. The Bookstore
in Bethlehem (PA) is another. Both operate with OKOM 3 nights a week,
4 hours per night.

Reason I don't go after these venues on a regular basis with my band
is that they do not pay as much as the musicians in my band normally
make in other venues. Since they depend upon music for their living,
they follow the money. Who can blame them?

But, the market is there for the YOUNG bands willing to work for less
money and if I am available at the  last minute as a sub, I am happy
to do the gigs. Naturally, the other ":Young People" venues are swing
dances and those kids are very appreciative, clapping and cheering
loudly after each number.

What is more difficult, is to get the kids to come to an "Old
People's" venue. The usual Jazz Society concerts are a prime example.
We have a jazz society concert coming up in April. I am doing my best
to get kids from the local Colleges who are taking "Jazz" courses to
attend. By offering them some insight as to what jazz was like in the
40s 50s and 60s. Via the personal experiences of guys in my band who
were on the scene with many of the jazz legends during those years. I
invited the kids to come talk with us on breaks, or after the program.
Collectively, we know quite a bit about Monk, Miles, Dizzy, Armstrong,
Bechet, et al. Perhaps more than their professors. I've also invited
swing dancers to attend in costume which will get them in free. Will
it work? Who knows, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

But the main point is that if we cannot attract young audiences to
"Old OKOM Venues", then we might play where the kids are in "Young
OKOM Venues" and see what happens.

Cheers
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband