[Dixielandjazz] Negative peer pressure

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Mar 13 08:40:32 PDT 2012

Ginny asked:
>If we in the U.S. reframed our task from persuading the young to come  to
hear trad jazz to a task of "over-riding negative peer pressure", how might
we do this?

Ginny, I don't think it is as simple as that.  There is a complete mentality
difference in social behavior in the U.S.  In the Mediteranean countries
people are out of their homes, walking, sitting at cafes &
restaurants....just out on the streets at all hours.  The U.S. is too "car
based" for that, and usually distances are too great.

Plus, there isn't that "old folks places/young people's places" thing over
here.  Everyone goes everyplace...young & old.

How many times will you see, in the U.S., a group of ladies easily in their
90's...hair just done, sitting at an outdoor café in the afternoon in their
finest clothes having a beer & a chat?

I see it every place I go.  People don't meet in each other's homes, they
meet in public places.  They are out on the streets.  And, things are close
enough that they can walk.

And, people walk!  There is the "hora de paseo"...the strolling hour here
between 5pm & 7pm.  People everywhere are out strolling, not necessarily
going anywhere.  It is hard to get down the sidewalk for so many people many
times.

They easily end up in places like several clubs we play at because they've
been out for before dinner drinks & snacks (glass of sherry..some olives!),
then out to dinner, then accidentally (or not!) find a place with music.
And, they don't reserve going out for just the weekend.  One of our busiest
nites of the week are Mondays!

I only drive 10 minutes to get to most of my gigs from the edge of Madrid
where my home is to the center of town.  However, it is then about a 15
minute walk from where I can park my car.  When I had my three Philly Pops
trombonist friends staying at my house for a few days, they came down to my
gigs for 2 nites.  They said "well, we might have to drive 100 miles to a
gig, but at least we park outside the door!"  They were shocked by the
walk!!  I just feel it is normal.  The difference is in the mentality.

I haven't offered you any help there, Ginny, but perhaps I've laid out more
clearly the differences & the reasons for those differences.

Jim