[Dixielandjazz] "The Last Time"

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 10 13:33:21 PST 2012

> Tito Martino <titomartino at gmail.com> wrote
>
> Dear Listmates
>
> I ask you please, if some listmate can send me chords (changes) for
> The Last Time, as played by the HOT FIVE in 1926.   It's in F.
> For a long time I wanted do play that tune, and recently it appeared
> in
> youtube
> with an excelent interpretation by W. Marsalis and E. Clapton, but
> it's in
> Eb.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwz8kVO3i34
>
> Too many jokes by very good clarinettist Victor Goines.  I like him.
> Unless I'm wrong, he seems to ridicule Johnny Dodds style,
> and THAT I don't like !   ....lol....
>
> I thank you in advance,

Dear Tito:

You can hear Louis and the hot 5 doing it at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95UHXL6ZwPM

It is in F, but a little flat. <grin>

Sounds to me like the chords on the intro are:

  F / F / C-G / C7

Then listening to Armstrong's Vocal the backing chords sound to me like:

36 bars, with bars 29 and 30 spoken as a break.

C7 / C7 / F / F / C7 / C7 / C7 / G7
G7 / G7 / C7 / C7 / C7 / C7/ F / F
F / C7 / C7 / C7 / F / F / C7 / C7
C7 / C7 / F / C7 / -   /  -    F /  F
C7 / C7 /  F / F

As an aside, I don't think Goines was making fun of Dodds. He is much
too knowledgeable a reed man to make fun of an old master. I think he
was admitting that he could not get a Dodds vibrato without shaking
the clarinet in and out. And I think tha Clapton - Marsalis smiles
were simply an acknowledgement that they understood.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband