[Dixielandjazz] FW: Auto-Tune-- neat story from Bob Ringwald-Jazz vocalist Kathy Lyon comments---

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Jun 27 10:37:42 PDT 2012

Here we go again!  The nasty electronics being used in recording vs real
art.......

I actually own two auto-tuners, a T.C. Electronics "Intonator", and an
Antares ATR1.  The article mentions Antares as software, but they also make
proper studio rack units.  The ATR1 is mono, while the T.C. is stereo.  Both
work well, and can be used, and should be used, when necessary & with
discretion....as all tools in a studio.

I guess I too would object if these tools were used to make bad singers or
instrumentals "good", but used as a studio tool in a given moment is just
something else that is done on recordings sometimes.  Probably depends on
the level of people you work with as to how much it is used.  Another take
is much easier to do if the person is available  than to fuss around with
gadgets.

But, what if you receive material that is out of tune?  If you've got it
still in "track" form, why not use the tools available  to improve matters
for the final product?

A recording is different than a live performance, whereas a mistake is
repeated every time the recording is heard.  If it can be fixed easily, what
is the harm?

I always think of the trombonist that comes in a bit earlier than the rest
of the brass section on one of Frank Sinatra's songs in a Las Vegas live
recording with Count Basie.  The folks in the audience probably didn't even
hear it, but you can bet your life that that trombonist would have loved for
someone to have had the tools we have today for "fixing" that sort of
problem in a flash on the recording!

I can't say how much auto tune is used.  I think it is wrong to suspect that
complete songs are treated this way, and all these "young kids" can't really
sing.  Young kids are doing great things in all fields.  Why would we
suspect that some of them out there don't really have great voices?

If you read the complete article carefully, you will see comments that the
devises/software are normally used discretely & with care, but there may be
an element of people that rely on it for less than artistic means.

Jim Kashishian