[Dixielandjazz] Ventura

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 24 17:26:11 PDT 2012

> Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com> wrote (polite snip)
>

> Most of "Bebop for the People" looks good.  I wonder why I haven't
> purchased it at the time - those Proper boxed sets were great value
> for money. . . .
> Despite what you've said, neither JJ Johnson nor Buddy de Franco are
> there, but Jonson's Buddy Kai Winding is.  For the most part,
> musicians I wouldn't mind, even if not all are favourites of mine.  I
> wonder about the big bnd sides.

You are right Marek, JJ and DeFranco are not on the Bop for the People set, however they were with him on the clips that Bill Haesler provided earlier. Since I was responding to Bill, I included their names as musicians with whom Ventura performed. Basically to contrast Bigard with DeFranco and JJ stylistically.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband