[Dixielandjazz] The Silver Ghosts

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Sun Jun 24 16:14:14 PDT 2012

Hi Folks,

Like Judy, I've never heard of the Silver Ghosts band. I followed Dingo's link to their website which doesn't give any clues as to their identities: they all hide behind nicknames. I also listened to the audio clips and was underwhelmed. The sound quality and balance were poor and there were loads of momentary audio drop-outs, so it's hard to believe the BBC had anything to do with the recording (as they claim). Even allowing for the audio drop-outs, the rhythm section was all over the place and the trombonist all at sea. I think it's safe to say they're not professional players. Their home page even lists one of their influences as Louise Armstrong! My guess is they're possibly students trying to make a bit of bread on the side. Sorry to be so negative, but there are stacks of OKOM bands and musicians in UK who are well worth hearing.

Cheers,

Ken