[Dixielandjazz] Charlie Ventura

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 23 17:39:31 PDT 2012

On Jun 23, 2012, at 7:13 PM, Bill Haesler wrote:

> Dear Marek and Steve,
> My curiosity finally got the better of me, so I checked my extensive collection for recordings featuring Charlie Ventura.
> A name I often came across when looking up Joe Venuti.
> He was always associated with bop in my mouldy fig mind therefore, at the time, of little consequence.
> I have the Metronome All Stars session of 3 January 1949 (all takes of "Overtime/Victory Ball") and some unlistened-to Gene Krupa big band sides.
> So what did he sound like?
> He solos on "Overtime":
>   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZo0Oy9QEwA&feature=related
> and "Victory Ball"
>   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO4od3TyL2A
> I also found two Gene Krupa Trio sides from a 20 February 1946 date for Capitol I never knew I had.
> "Wire Brush Stomp" and "Ritchie Drive"
> Mmmm.
> Although I was old enough, if I had been in New York in the late 40s- 50s I doubt that I would have gone into Birdland or the Music Box.
> I did not bother going to see The Krupa Trio with Eddie Shu and Ted Napoleon when they appeared in Melbourne during its Australian tour in August 1954.
> *>)
> Very kind regards,
> Old one-eye Bill.

Ah Bill;

Check out Ventura on Sweet Sue (1957)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPeNgF_PH8g

or Honeysuckle Rose (Date?) Hear the Bass Sax solo about halfway through to end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxzEX5SdrLw&feature=related

or Out of Nowhere from a radio transcription with the Krupa Orchestra (1950)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tab1PwMvz18

or even "St. Louis Blues" with Krupa & Teddy Napoleon -1952  (Jazz Rock?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qflHOkvWbk&feature=related

or "The Man I Love" with Krupa & Napoleon again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sxjDqKHryU&feature=relmfu

His bop period was just a phase. He went back to straight ahead jazz/swing which was where the audience was.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband