[Dixielandjazz] Charlie Ventura

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jun 23 16:13:15 PDT 2012

Dear Marek and Steve,
My curiosity finally got the better of me, so I checked my extensive collection for recordings featuring Charlie Ventura.
A name I often came across when looking up Joe Venuti.
He was always associated with bop in my mouldy fig mind therefore, at the time, of little consequence.
I have the Metronome All Stars session of 3 January 1949 (all takes of "Overtime/Victory Ball") and some unlistened-to Gene Krupa big band sides.
So what did he sound like?
He solos on "Overtime":
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZo0Oy9QEwA&feature=related
and "Victory Ball"
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO4od3TyL2A
I also found two Gene Krupa Trio sides from a 20 February 1946 date for Capitol I never knew I had.
"Wire Brush Stomp" and "Ritchie Drive"
Mmmm.
Although I was old enough, if I had been in New York in the late 40s- 50s I doubt that I would have gone into Birdland or the Music Box.
I did not bother going to see The Krupa Trio with Eddie Shu and Ted Napoleon when they appeared in Melbourne during its Australian tour in August 1954.
*>)
Very kind regards,
Old one-eye Bill.