[Dixielandjazz] Whitey Thomas on Glenn Miller

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Tue Jun 12 06:31:22 PDT 2012

To: DJML and Musicians and Jazzfans lists

From: Norman

Marc Myers' Jazz Wax blog had long interview with 92 year old trombonist
Whitey Thomas who played with Glenn Miller Band in the Army and then stayed
with the band under two directors after WWII.   This was yesterday's blog.
If you click the link, you'll also get an interview about Bill Evans for
today, but follow on down and the Thomas interview will follow.

One personal comment, some years ago, I asked clarinetist Peanuts Hucko
about their near-miss from the bomb in London.

I'd read about it, but since he was there, I wanted to know his
observations.  The Glenn Miller band was stationed in London during the
blitz.  Miller felt that there was no need for the band to be housed in
downtown  London and made arrangements for the band's housing outside the
city.  Miller wanted to move his men on the weekend but the Americans said,
" Wait until Monday and we'll move you."   Miller then arranged with the
Brits to have his men move on the weekend.  Peanuts confirmed that after
they moved, on Sunday night there was a bomb which struck the building in
which they were previously housed. Peanuts, like Whitey Thomas, spoke highly
of Glenn Miller and his concern for his men.

Here's the link:  http://www.jazzwax.com/

Norman