[Dixielandjazz] More from the Central Plaza

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 00:51:59 PDT 2012

Jon Faddis, Tom?  In the '60's?  He only graduated in 1971!
At the peril of losing my mouldy status I must say that he is a
wonderful musician.  A bit on the modern side as far as I am
concerned, but wonderful!  And one who did, in a way. what Lu Watters
had done before him - went back to the roots!  That is, not the roots
of jazz, but the roots of modern.  At a time when everybody tried to
be a Miles Davis, Faddis discovered Dizzy Gillespie, and took it from
there.  He started young.  And indeed moved to New York at an early
age.
I saw him in 1977 (I think) in Nice, playing with Gillespie, but,
perhaps more significant for OKOM fans, he subbed for the ailing
Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown with Lloye Glenn, and played fantastic -
and very traditional - blues.  Wow!
Often, his playing with the Carnegie Hall Jazz Band is quite
"conservative" (for lack of a better term - I don't think he can be
described as "traditional"), and would not offend the ears of most
listmates.  Actually, I have never heard him playing "modern" in the
meaning of, say, Freddie Hubbard or Roy Hargrove.  No Dixielander for
sure, but, at least to my ears, always melodic and playing with that
elusive quality called "hot."
Cheers