[Dixielandjazz] More from the Central Plaza

Dixiejazzdata dixiejazzdata at aol.com
Sat Jun 9 19:23:56 PDT 2012

I Recall clearly how the Jazz scene in San Francisco began to evaporate in the 60's and many of our great local players migrated to New York
to play Jazz,   Guys like John Fadis actually came into his own there, and did very well, far better than he could ever have done in Oakland, Ca. some other very fine Jazz players of his same age and skill bracket are still here playing two or three nights a week in the same restaurants and dive Bars John Left for greener pastures.    Some have since died after holding out for teaching jobs rather then the life of a Touring musician.  Several of them that I attempted to tour in their prime and early careers when somebody knew of them and actually would pay for them.  They refused to go, and opted to stay here with a steady teaching gig, then came to me 30 years later after they retired and boldly announced that NOW they were ready to go on tour and wanted me to book them on all the Big Jazz Festivals around the world.   So sad as I watched them sitting around locally playing small bars for $60.00 a night, dying of strokes and heart attacks still dreaming of being a Star performer.

Time waits for No Man !!   Opportunity knocks every day  but if you don't get up and answer the door nothing changes.

These are the same folks always screaming about SUPPORT LOCAL MUSICIANS and who get upset when Local Festivals bring in outside artists and bands that are not over exposed to the local market to sell tickets to the events and keep them in business so they can actually hire some of the locals and give them a larger audience to play to.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins