[Dixielandjazz] Making future Stars of OKOM

Dixiejazzdata dixiejazzdata at aol.com
Sat Jun 9 14:20:51 PDT 2012

We have over 600 members on this list, what say we all go check out this kid and leave some words of encouragement on his you tube posts, and any of you band leaders on here invite him to come sit in with you  especially those of you living in Europe,  what better way than to keep him motivated to continue to develop his talents.  This folks is really what it's All About  or damned well should be for us,  Putting something back and helping others come up is really the way to Preserve OKOM for future generations.    Now I wonder just how many of our great heros in OKOM could not read music either.  I told young Thomas to keep trying to learn to read as it certainly would help him, but that there are many Great Composers and recording artist musicians that could not read because they are or were sightless.    And any of you involved with Jazz events, do not shy away from hiring this youngster as a special guest at your events.  He may very well sell more tickets than your best favorite Jazz band in the society.    We should all be on the look out for these kind of kids and expose them to adult and youth audiences at every given opportunity.   His mum told me today that he just got an offer for a Solo gig performance at a school in Germany for $80.00.   Not a bad start.

His Dad is a Trombone player with the Royal Air Force Band,  Sight Reads well, but can't play Jazz this kid has Big ears and great raw talent let's all help him develop it, he could well become the next Jack Teagarden.   There efforts to get him mentoring are being met with resistance and indifference because he can't Read Music and now that is a Crock.     He is also well aware of Old Blind Thomas Wiggins  the Pianist of yesteryear.

Cheers,

Old Tom Wiggins   his newest Uncle. :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWcrKtt9y5U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWTxZ9KDvzw