[Dixielandjazz] A quibble with a small snippet

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 10:33:15 PDT 2012

> "Nothing but a music for dancers."

Actually, that's what the ODJB, Oliver, Benny Goodman or Basie played.
 Or Ellington.

Another thing: today I listened to records by both Doc Cook and Paul
Whiteman.  So perhaps, at its worse, Whiteman's band was "nothing but
music for dancers" (which i take to mean music of no other interest,
while music the ODJB. Oliver, BG, the Count or the Duke made is
memorable and gives a lot of LISTENING pleasure), but at its best it
demonstrated more drive than the black Doc Cook's band.  And the bands
we so admire played lots of waltzes and polkas and sickly ballads for
living!
Cheers

And just whom do you think was paying his