[Dixielandjazz] Tears

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 4 16:18:17 PDT 2012

 Dixiejazzdata wrote [in part]:
> See European Musicians play American Jazz differently, because they actually hear it differently.

Dear Tom,
Spot on.
So do the English, South Americans and Australians.
Because, in the formative years of the 1940s jazz revival, all we had were the original 78rpm recordings.
We would have loved to have been able to experience the New York scene at that time.
But few of us did.
I also believe that the tradition is still currently more alive outside the US than in it.
With a few minor exceptions.
For instance, how many US groups today can take an ordinary tune like "There's Is Going To Be The Devil To Pay" (Billy Hueston-Bob Emmerich) recorded by Fats Waller in June 1935
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkrUpBf9yr8
and, in September 2007, turn it into a performance like this one from the wonderfully young Les Red Hot Reedwarmers:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHgBkSnXljQ
Very kind regards,
Bill (the old mouldy, who was going to keep away from this long thread).