[Dixielandjazz] Today's Jazz - was - Tears

Shaw, Tim Tim.Shaw at mh.org.au
Mon Jun 4 16:49:45 PDT 2012

I agree with Phil.  A lot of today's musicians may be vastly technically superior (but what about Jimmie Noone, Omer Simeon, Jabbo Smith - to name only three?) - but they don't use their technique with restraint. Also, you get a different sound on modern instruments (wider bore brass and saxes, narrower bore clarinets.  The old instruments were much harder to control and projected more. These days that's not a consideration since most live music is amplified, even though it's already loud. Because its so loud, I think a lot of the audience switch off. You can't listen to loud amplified music in a large venue in the same way that you'd listen to unamplified music in a small venue. The Condon bands do have enjoyable energy, - like a drunken rabble having fun.  I prefer the controlled power of the better Oliver CJB recordings or (later) eg the early Basie band. There's more skill required for control than for letting it all out!
cheers
tim