[Dixielandjazz] "Tears" by King Oliver's Jazz Band (was: Dogfight? Indeed!!)

Bob Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Fri Jun 1 04:34:19 PDT 2012

Dear Tim,

I agree with you about swapping the above-named Oliver for a million
revivalist bands, but I wouldn't have chosen this particular record. I would
have chosen almost any other Creole Jazz Band recording, as my personal
ranking of the CJB's would have put "Tears" way down the list. My ranking is
based on appeal of the music, quality of the improvisation, and
"whistleability" of the tune. These, of course, are purely qualitative
criteria, and everybody's ranking and criteria would surely be unique.

I hope we get a few ideas about ranking the Oliver CJB's.

Kind Regards

Bob Smith