[Dixielandjazz] White jazz of the early twenties

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 03:40:33 PDT 2012

Dear Bill,
I beg to disagree.
The ODJB were indeed the earliest.  While speaking of Ladd's Black
Aces, I mentioned "and that goes for other similar bands" on purpose,
as the Original Memphis Five (more or less the same people) and other
bands were playing like that.
NORK's records hit the market already in 1922; the Original Memphis
Five still sounded like that in 1924, and even later.
It's not a matter of listening backwards - there were lots of
recordings with the ODJB "jerky" rhythm after the New Orleans Rhythm
Kings.  And white bands in Chicago (Husk O'Hara, for example) sounded
less jerky already in 1922.
As to listning chronologically - while there may be some records with
lower musical quality to which I listen aminly because they come from
the twenties, my listening is hardly ever for historical reasons; I
listen to music for fun.  I've had both the LPs mentioned for over
thirty years, but somehow I never played them one after another
before.
Only once, after reading Humph's statement that the 1936 ODJB's "Tiger
Rag" was as stiff as the original, two friends and I sat sown and
listenet repeatedly to several ODJB recordings (and one by the NORK),
and reched the conclusion that Humph was wrong.  Actually, that
session occurred because I did not remember it the way Humph described
it (in general, my opinion on ODJB seems to be bettr than Humph's).
Cheers