[Dixielandjazz] White jazz of the early twenties

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jul 29 03:22:32 PDT 2012

Marek Boym wrote [in part]:
> The other day I played the Wolverines right after Ladd's Black Aces.
> What a difference!  And not only the sound of Bix - the general approach. No wonder they had such an impact on white bands.  For some strange reason, Ladd's Black Aces (and that goes for other similar bands) followed the ODJB, and here they heard something so much more complex and relaxed!  Sure, there were the New Orleans Rhythm Kings, whose music was very different than that of ODJB, but, for some reasons, they had more impact on the white Chicagoans than on the New York musicians.

Dear Marek,
Put dates to the four bands that you mentioned.
Then listen chronologically.

ODJB. 1917- 1921
 New Orleans via Chicago to New York (and England).

Ladd's Black Aces. 1921-1924
New York.

The New Orleans Rhythm Kings. 1922- 1923
Chicago.

The Wolverine Orchestra. 1924.
Chicago.

Nobody was listening backwards in those days.
The secret ingredient was "Chicago" in the early 20s.
Think King Oliver and all those who came up from New Orleans.
Very kind regards,
Bill.