[Dixielandjazz] Reflection on Bunny Berigan Jazz Jubilee

Julie Flemming julieflemming at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 11:57:00 PDT 2012

Bunny Berigan Jazz Jubilee, 2012,
A Success

      Reflecting back on the Bunny Berigan Jazz Jubilee of this past May, it certainly can be deemed a success.  Now success cannot always be measured in dollars and cents, but rather in were goals met and the outcome satisfying to all involved?  If one wants to measure by monetary means perhaps they would judge the event as lacking, but those who attended the event will surly look back on it as a fantastic weekend honoring the great Bunny Berigan, while providing some of the best jazz music played by some of the finest jazz musicians in the country.
     The event actually kicked off with power point shows about Bunny provided by Mike Zirpolo, author of the latest biography of Bunny, Mr. Trumpet: The Trials, Tribulations, and Triumph of Bunny Berigan.  The power point shows were awesome and those who attended them came away with a new understanding of the powerful Bunny Berigan.  Phyllis Ger, daughter of Morty Stulmaker who played with Bunny wrote “I learned a lot about Dad and Bunny that I didn’t know and heard several recordings I hadn’t heard before.  It was an extra special kick for me.”  Phyllis displayed her beautiful crafted jewelry, offering something very special that people could take home with them.  And since the event Mike Zirpolo has put snippets of newly discovered Bunny Berigan recordings on his Mr. Trumpet website.  These recordings were discovered by Mike on his trip to Wisconsin and he is pursuing plans to make them available to the public.  For now one can go
 to the Mr. Trumpet website, go to the bottom of the home page and click on the audio player bar.  A bit of information about the recordings will also appear.
         It is exciting to realize that 406 different people attended one or more  musical gigs of the weekend.  From the approximate 180 who enjoyed the first concert at Mullin’s Drive-In, to those who attended the fun evening at the American Legion Clubhouse, the many who enjoyed the bands at the Fox Lake Community Center on Saturday and Sunday, the large crowd of attendees at the Sunday morning graveside service conducted by the Rev. Al Townsend in memory of Bunny Berigan and his daughter Joyce Berigan-Hansen, and the many volunteers for the weekend.  It was fantastic to see jazz fans from the states of Washington, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Illinois, North Carolina, Maryland, Kansas, Michigan, Florida, Wisconsin and the country of Canada converging on the small town of Fox Lake, WI, Bunny’s hometown.
          One of the couples, the Schneiders, from Annapolis, MD. recorded a lot of the fun and Bill Schneider has posted some great music and scenes on Youtube.  The Barb City Stompers  “Down by the Riverside is at http://youtu.be/1n98qGpjlc0  and “S’il Vous Plait” is at http://youtu.be/hsT8rq31e-4 .   He has also posted some of The Talk of the Town playing “Jazz Me Blues” at http://youtu.be/SZU5wJAi5LU and the Bunny Berigan Jubilee Band playing the last song of the event “Dipper Mouth Blues” at http://youtu.be/kSx_800_MgQ .  If you missed the event bring up these Youtube sites, sit back, and enjoy some wonderful music.
      Others have written to the festival saying “I had a good time and enjoyed the music and the company of the others there” and Kevin Reak wrote “My Father and I had a precious time”.  It can truly be said that the musicians and the audience had a wonderful time.  One person even commented that the food was the best he had ever experienced at any Jazz Festival….and that says a lot for the delicious menu planned by Mr. Happy.
      Is it possible to do again for 2013?  The answer is no.  The Bunny Berigan Jazz Jubilee took in a bit less than was needed and the slush fund was deleted.  It will not be possible to run a three day event again in 2013, but that does not mean that it won’t happen in 2014.  Wonderful news is that  the City of Fox Lake does not want Bunny Berigan forgotten in 2013 and they are kicking off the “Fox Lake Celebrates 175 Years” events with a special dance at the Community Center on April 14, 2013, in honor of Bunny.  Pete Runde’s New Century Dance Band will be performing from 1 to 5 PM on that Sunday afternoon, playing dance music for all.  The nominal cost for admission is set at $5.00 per person and refreshments will be available.  There will also be a display featuring Bunny Berigan set up at the dance.  Bunny is an important part of the history of Fox Lake and he will not be forgotten during the year of celebration.