[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland at Disneyland of long ago

Ken Gates kwg915 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 06:02:50 PDT 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A77B5tWw5i4

During the 60's and 70's I lived  a short walk from Disneyland.
In the summer months the general admission price of 3 dollars
would provide musical entertainment of well known swing bands
with such names as  Basie, Dorsey, Elgart  attached.  The annual
dixieland bash was a must event, for sure.  Some of the names
of performers I remember seeing/hearing there are:  Louis
Armstrong, Dukes of Dixieland, Doc Evans, Turk Murphy,
Johnny St Cyr, Raymond Burke, Teddy Buckner, Sweet Emma,
and many more.  Speaking of Sweet Emma--who refused to
fly and therefore arrived via train---among the musicians in
her band was one Thomas Jefferson.  He was a terrific
trumpet player.  I had seen him previously during his two year
time with George Lewis.  Some of you may remember him.
He doesn't appear very much on youtube but the link shown
above has him with Sammy Rimmington during a visit to
England and includes some biographical information.

A bit of nostalgia for me.  Now the entrance fee to Disneyland
is in the $100 neighborhood.  Ah yes, those were the days.

Ken Gates
Now In Ventura -- some 70  miles from Disneyland