[Dixielandjazz] Andy Griffith From Ray Templin

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat Jul 7 12:32:16 PDT 2012

I sent Ray a copy of what I posted about he and Andy Griffith. here is his response.

“””
Hiya Bob from Bozeman, Montana. I'm here doing my yearly concert for the historic
Ellen Theatre which was restored a few years ago by a couple friends of mine from
my Disney days. Andy Griffith was an absolute joy to work with, an inspiration and
I learned so much about acting and the TV business just hanging around him. Back
in the day he was friends with Sharkey Bonano and other jazz and blues players and
loved any music that had a "blow bass" as he referred to the tuba. He loved to sing.
Every Christmas he would find a church in the LA area that was doing Handel's "Messiah,"
call them up and say "I know it and I'll come to rehearsal." I wonder how many people
in the audiences over the years knew Andy Griffith was up there in a gown singing
with their choir. He was also a fine musician and owned a custom Martin D-18 guitar,
I believe. "Ray Templin's Bar" actually existed just behind the Matlock courtroom
set on stage 13 at Universal Studios. The exterior shots were of Barone's Pizza in
Toluca Lake with my bar sign superimposed over theirs. Oh, that TV magic! Great memories,
for sure and thanks for the plug, Bob. Later, Ray.
“””

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com