[Dixielandjazz] Dan Morgenstern Honored

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Wed Jul 4 12:31:10 PDT 2012

To:  Musicians and Jazzfans list

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz society of Pensacola

Dan Morgenstern was honored with tributes in Current Jazz Research.  For
example, Terry Teachout gives a brief biography and Bruce Boyd Raeburn,
director of Tulane Jazz Archives, writes an article about  the time Bix and
Tram came to  New Orleans with Paul Whiteman in 1928.   Some may be more
academic for your taste but scan for what appeals to you. Here's the link---

http://www.crj-online.org/v4/index.php

A personal note.  Pianist Armand Hug was a native New Orlenian.  When I
would visit New Orleans, I'd always find where he was playing, listen for a
set or two and then get my "listening assignment"  from Armand for other
jazz musicians in the New Orleans area.

In one conversation, he mentioned that he had instructions from Bix on
Bix's composition, "In a Mist."  I didn't have opportunity to query him in
detail on this point.  However, Bruce Raeburn's article gives details which
make that story much more vivid.