[Dixielandjazz] Preservation Hall Stern Grove Concert-San Francisco

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 2 10:52:56 PDT 2012

Four of us went to a free concert yesterday in Stern Grove Park, 2 to 5 PM,
featuring two bands, the warm-up band, THE STONE FOXES.this local rock and
roll band was obnoxiously loud, the lead singer shouted into the mike
continuously to a degree where we were all stuffing paper ear-plugs into our
ears.well, they played until 3:30, and when they left the stage.I have to
say, the croud gave them a very quiet adios reception! A few people were
dancing, but not much excitement, just loud guitars and drums.

Preservation Hall jazz band came on about 30 minutes later.

The drummer played a march intro cadence, played a roll-off, and Bourbon St.
Parade came on! There were about 3000 people there, and they all rose to
their feet shouting in absolute glee.

Until the band closed with a long version of The Saints to end it, the
audience never sat down! It was so damn gratifying to see the comparison
between reception of the two bands!

The people who were there were not grey-haired senior citizens, maybe 10%...
mostly very young to middle-aged fans!

ttp://www.sterngrove.org/home/celebrate75/july1/

Warm Regards

Bob Romans