[Dixielandjazz] John Pizzarelli interviewed

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat Jan 28 15:04:19 PST 2012

Jazz Fest Star John Pizzarelli Keeps It All in the Family
by Tony Kiss
Asheville (North Carolina) Citizen-Times, January 27, 2012
For jazz guitarist and singer John Pizzarelli, playing the Grove Park Inn's All That
Jazz festival is a family affair.
Pizzarelli's Friday night show features brother Martin on bass. And this year, Pizzarelli's
wife, Broadway star and singer Jessica Molaskey, gets her own headlining show on
Saturday night. The only one missing this year is Pizzarelli's guitar-playing dad
Bucky.
"It's fun when we're all together," said Pizzarelli. "We all sort of think the same.
Everyone knows everyone else's strengths."
Pizzarelli has been a regular at the Grove Park Inn through the years, performing
there in 2006, 2008 and 2010. "It's really a cozy setting for us," he said. "And
a nice place to play. Certain gigs you look forward to. You get to know the people
and what to expect. When you do gigs like this, you come back and say 'Let's go back
there.'"
In a career spanning more than 20 years, Pizzarelli has celebrated the Great American
Songbook and a style of jazz made popular by Sinatra, Nat King Cole and other artists
from yesteryear. Along with the music, he mixes in a good bit of storytelling. A
regular tale involves composer and actor Bobby Troup, author of the standard "Route
66."
"My father worked with Bobby and (his wife, singer) Julie London. We have found out
little tidbits here and there," he said. "With the passage of time, there are more
stories to tell. They just sort of fall into place."
Pizzarelli has worked with a variety of stars, opening for Sinatra and recording
with Rosemary Clooney. Most recently, he connected with Paul McCartney in the studio.
"That was pretty crazy," Pizzarelli said. "He's made a record of standards, and I
got to play on that. I've worked with James Taylor. I got to work with Mel Torme
a few times on the radio."
A Pizzarelli show is always marked with smart fashion. "I like to get dressed for
work," he said. "Over the years, it's changed a little bit, but I am a little dangerous
when I'm going out (shopping)."

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases:
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.