[Dixielandjazz] The Gig at Savannah's on Hanna

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 28 13:45:58 PST 2012

Well THE gig finally arrived. Last night (Friday) I had the good
fortune to be a sideman on clarinet with a band put together by Ben
Mauger, one of the hottest trumpet players in the Mid Atlantic States.
He had booked a gig at Savannah's on Hanna (google it) in Harrisburg
PA. We were the back-up band for a Prohibition Party (Shades of
Boardwalk Empire) held at a "Gentlemen's Club". Instrumentation was
trumpet, clarinet, trombone, bass, drums, piano and the songs were
100% Dixieland. We played 3 fast paced 45 minute sets from 9:30 PM to
12:30 AM. Picture this scene:

The "club" is hidden away in an industrial section of Harrisburg, no
windows. No cell phones or cameras allowed, and patrons must pass
through a metal detector. The main room is quite large with a capacity
of about 200 people. Other rooms are connected on several sides to the
main room. We played in the main room which is set up lighting wise
like a disco. In the center of the room is a huge oval shaped stage,
complete with two dance poles and two overhead high bars. (The ceiling
is about 20 feet high) Comfortable chairs surround the stage so that
patrons may get up close and personal with the girls, stuff money in
their G strings, and/or throw a shower of dollar bills at them. Less
close seating is along the walls.

There were about 20 different dancing girls last night in various 20's
era attire which was shed until they were dancing in G Strings only.
The patrons varied in age from 21 to about 65. I was easily the oldest
guy in the joint. They were from all economic strata. Some were
preppies, some looked like Mitt Romney, and some were a bit scruffier.

The "show" backup was the band playing on a stage at one end of the
room. Songs were to be 3 and 1/2 minutes whereupon an announcer hyped
the next set of dancing girls. That gave us about 15 seconds before
the start of the next song. We were cued when to stop (in mid tune is
necessary) to follow the program. Ben did a GREAT job of preselecting
the tunes, listing them and supplying lead sheets in case anyone had
not memorized them previously during his career. Each set ended with,
what else, "The Stripper".

The patrons were an interesting mix. Some brought their wives, some
brought their girlfriends, some brought their boyfriends, some were
straight, some were gay. Some would pass in front of the bandstand on
their way to the private lap dance rooms and sometimes a guy, his wife/
girlfriend, would go together with their favorite stripper. And as
they passed us, they would give us a smiling thumbs up.

To sum it up, the dancers were fabulous. All sizes and shapes. They
were showered with money and affection. But then, it was a strip club.
What surprised us most was that the audience ABSOLUTELY LOVED the
band. Songs like Big Butter and Egg Man, That's A Plenty, Shake That
Thing, I Found A New Baby, My Honey's Lovin' Arms etc., got cheers and
shouts of encouragement. And even we were tipped by some of the
patrons, one 20 something young lady putting a $10 bill under my belt.

I can't help but think that this is as close as it gets to the Honky
Tonks of early 20th century New Orleans. Places like Matranga's, or
Pete Lala's. When jazz was brewing in raucous joints as a part of an
earthy culture. Pure functional, high energy music, played with your
eyes on the girls. I loved it.  But best of all, we are going to do it
again tonight.

To Sheik and those living in the Baltimore/Washington area, be sure to
ask Dave Sager about it. He'll be playing trombone with the band
tonight.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband