[Dixielandjazz] Time limits for use of a song

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Jan 28 02:27:26 PST 2012

........just another curiousity in this "pay the man" for the use of older
songs thread:

One of the cuts on our new CD is a medley of two Hoagie Charmichael tunes.
One chorus of trombone & rhythm on Ol' Rockin' Chair, and one chorus of
trumpet & rhythm on Georgia On My Mind.  I put down the total time of the
cut, and decided to mention the time of each of the two songs.  Now I am
told that if a song is less than 1 min 46 seconds (who decided on that??),
then you have to seek the composer's (or his/her estate's) permission.

I argued that once thru Rockin Chair at a decent ballad tempo ended up being
the recorded 1'38, and why would you have to seek permission to play the
melody...stock, once through?  As our trumpeter did a monster coda at the
end of his bit, Georgia breaks the 1'46 barrier.  I believe that I am going
to be given permission.  If not, I will "stretch" the song by slowing down
the tempo electronically (without changing the key), and call their bluff!

Jim