[Dixielandjazz] FW: US COPYRIGHT LAW

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Jan 28 02:19:03 PST 2012

Bud wrote:
>The effect of this copy write situation is that young musicians are
ignoring the old songs entirely and writing their own material.
I would say, Bud, that the young people are less interested in having free
use of old songs than they are in making sure they get their own music out
there so that they can get their own royalties....on top of the fact that
they might feel their new songs are as good or better.

Bud continues:
>This is a real case of shooting oneself in the foot that is guarded over by
the attorneys at BMI and ASCAP,...........there will be no new musicians
able or interested enough to carry on the tradition of Tin Pan alley.

The amount paid, at least to bring out your own CD of "old" songs is not
enough to really put one off.  Whether it is right or not is another
argument.  But, I don't believe the cost of paying the royalties is enough
to stop someone from playing & recording these tunes.

Jim