[Dixielandjazz] Kenny Ball & his Jazzmen

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Wed Jan 25 19:11:29 PST 2012

Kenny Ball made me a jazz fan!

I was a dumb-ass high school kid (a redundant formulation, I fear--is
there any other kind?) when his "Midnight in Moscow" elbowed its way
into the top-40 AM radio stations and thus into my consciousness.  I
liked it so much that I dashed out and bought the "Midnight in
Moscow" LP as well as another he released in 1962, "It's Trad."  I
loved them, but didn't have a chance to follow up because I soon was
off to the Air Force and then to college.  The first dixieland music
I ever heard live was in Leningrad in 1970, where I was a student at
Leningrad State (good ol' LSU).  I saw that the Leningrade Dixieland
Jazz Band was playing at the Estrada Teatr, so off I went--where I
was amazed to find that they sounded just like Kenny Ball!

Many years later, after many more trips to the Soviet Union and
acquaintanceships with Soviet jazzmen, I learned that for all
practical purposes, dixieland jazz was introduced to the Soviet Union
by Kenny Ball on his trips there in the late '50s and early
'60s.  The Leningrad band sprouted from that seed, as did a couple of
bands in Moscow.

--
      Dick Baker
  djml at dickbaker.org